Tło Tatra Mountains and Podhale

Tatra National Park

Go to map

The Tatra National Park was established in 1954 to protect the natural resources of the Polish Tatra Mountains. The area of ​​the Park is 21,164 ha and in this respect is one of the largest national parks in Poland. About 70% of the park's area is covered by dwarf forests and thickets, while the remaining 30% are alpine grasslands, rocks and waters. Strict protection covers almost 11.5 thous. ha of area, including the entire floor of halls and crags, dwarf mountain pine and partially also upper and lower forests. Strict protection consists in protecting processes occurring in the natural environment. This means minimizing human interference in nature. Partial protection covers about 45% of the park's area, mainly the lower part of the forest, strongly transformed in the past by human activities. This form of protection consists in conducting active treatments accelerating the regeneration processes of transformed plant communities and preserving plant diversity. The Tatra National Park is available for tourism, surface and cave climbing and skiing. There is a network of well-marked tourist routes with a total length of nearly 250 km. These trails have varying degrees of difficulty - from typical walking paths to routes for persistent tourists. The long and complicated geological history led to the formation of a huge variety of rocks in the Tatras and the complex tectonics of the area. The highest part of the mountains is built of granitoids (granodiorites, granites) of the High Tatras as well as granitoids and metamorphic rocks of the Western Tatras. Sedimentary rocks (limestone, dolomites, shale and sandstone) have been deformed and displaced in the form of mantles in Alpine orogenesis. These rocks build the northern slope of the Tatra Mountains. These are the peak series of the Western Tatras and the Regal Tatras.


No results


Number of ratings: 1

Address: Kuźnice 1 , 34-500 Zakopane